KILZ 2 LATEX is a fast drying, water-base, multi-purpose primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base paint. It has a very mild odor, which makes it an excellent choice for interior and exterior applications.
Where to Use
Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces. KILZ 2 is not recommended on flooring.
- The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint, mold, mildew, wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.
- Unpainted, exterior wood exposed to sun and/or moisture longer than 2-4 weeks must be cleaned and sanded before priming.
- *Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ 2 primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ 2 primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primary Recommendation: KILZ® ORIGINAL, KILZ COMPLETE® or KILZ ODORLESS® primers.
- Eye protection is recommended.Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer. A small amount of water may be added for spray applications, but do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: Not recommended for stainblocking applications. KILZ 2 primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon for non-stainblocking projects. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: Coverage is up to 300 square feet per gallon on porous surfaces; up to 400 square feet per gallon on smooth, nonporous surfaces.
- Dry Time: KILZ 2 primer will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with a latex or oil-based paint. Application at lower temperatures, high humidity or poor ventilation will affect dry time.
Clean Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- To recycle or properly dispose of paint or primer in your community, call 1-800-CLEANUP.