KILZ MAX Clear helps block severe stains and odors. Our advanced technology provides stain and odor blocking performance previously found only in oils and shellacs. KILZ MAX Clear is a non-flammable, low odor, low VOC water-based coating. Formulated for the demanding needs of disaster restoration, KILZ MAX Clear is an ideal clear sealer for interior surfaces under reconstruction,including subfloors, drywall, rafters and wall cavities. It helps block severe stains caused by water, rust, nicotine, tannin, ink, felt marker and more. It also helps seal persistent pet and smoke odors. Topcoat with latex or oil-based paint. KILZ MAX Clear contains a mildewcide that helps protect against growth of mold on the primer and is not intended to provide mildew protection on the substrate, subsequent coats of paint, or elsewhere on the building.
Where to Use
KILZ MAX Clear is an ideal clear sealer for interior surfaces under reconstruction,including subfloors, drywall, rafters and wall cavities. Topcoat with latex or oil-based paint. KILZ MAX Clear contains a mildewcide that helps protect against growth of mold on the primer and is not intended to provide mildew protection on the substrate, subsequent coats of paint, or elsewhere on the building.
- The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint, mold, mildew and wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: KILZ MAX Clear should not be applied to a surface containing mold or mildew; it should not be used to cover up mold or mildew. Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to completely dry before coating.
- Apply two (2) coats of KILZ MAX Clear Interior Sealer at 4.0 mils WFT (Wet Film Thickness) per coat or at 1.5 mils DFT (Dry Film Thickness) per coat.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ MAX primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ MAX primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.
- Eye protection is recommended. Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50º – 90ºF (10º – 32ºC)
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2” nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4” nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray - .017 - .021 tip / 60 mesh filter. Up to 5% water may be added for spray application.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat. Prime the entire surface to help ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: Do not thin for stainblocking applications. After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating.
- Sealing odors: For persistent odors, apply a second coat of primer before topcoating. If odor continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- KILZ MAX primer will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated in 1 hour. Application at lower temperatures, high humidity or poor ventilation will affect dry time.
Clean Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain.
- Please consider donating any unused product.
- For recycling or disposal information, contact your local household refuse collection service.
Tools & Resources
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications