For excellent performance on clean or sound rusty Interior/Exterior metal surfaces, choose BEHR® Metal Primer. This innovative formula can be applied directly to rust with minimal surface preparation, making it an ideal primer choice for painting metal doors, railings, fences, and garage doors. This water-based formula is ready to topcoat in one hour and has easy water clean-up once you are done with your project.
Click Here to view the Safety Data Sheet.
Where to Use
- Over properly prepared uncoated and previously painted Interior/Exterior ferrous and non-ferrous metal surfaces.
- Ideal for ferrous metal surfaces, such as: Steel, Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel, Cast Iron, Wrought Iron, Galvanized Steel; and non-ferrous metal surfaces, such as: Brass, Aluminum, Copper, Lead, Nickel, Tin, Titanium, Zinc and Metal Alloys.
- Bright or deep topcoat colors require primer to be tinted (add no more than 4 fluid ounces of colorant per gallon).
30 Min Dries to Touch
1 Hr Ready to Topcoat
350-450 Sq. Ft.
Coverage per Gallon
Soap & Water
- All surfaces must be properly prepared, cleaned and primed on the same day.
- Remove all loose or peeling paint; wash off chalk, dirt and grease with mild detergent, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product.
- Scuff sand glossy surfaces and repair imperfections.
- Remove all loose dust and rust particles with a wire brush and dry cloth.
- In some cases, scraping or sanding may be needed to allow the primer to adhere.
- Do not use if surface is structurally unsound or severely deteriorated.
- Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 40-90°F (4-32°C).
- Use a high quality 1/4 - 3/8" nap roller cover, nylon/polyester brush or an airless sprayer (.011"-.017" spray tip, 60 mesh filter)
- Stir primer occasionally.
- Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is necessary to maintain workability, thin with clean water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
- For disposal of empty containers, unused paint and soiled rags, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a Behr Certified Coatings Professional, call Behr Pro Hotline Toll Free number at 1-877-776-3961 (U.S.A. only).
Browse, coordinate and preview colors now, with ColorSmart by BEHR ®..
Tools & Resources
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications