For painting projects that involve “tough-to-paint” Interior/Exterior surfaces, choose BEHR® Bonding Primer. It is specially formulated to bond to a variety of challenging substrates and reduces the need for sanding dense and glossy surfaces – making it an ideal primer choice for painting tile, glass, Kynar®, and vinyl. This water-based formula has a quick dry time and can be used under Alkyd, Oil, and Water-based topcoats.
Click Here to find out if BEHR Bonding Primer is available in a Home Depot® nearest you.
Where to Use
- Over properly prepared uncoated and previously painted interior or exterior surfaces.
- Ideal for Kynar®, PVC, vinyl, Formica®, glass, tile, glazed brick, fiberglass, chalky paints, glossy finishes, architectural plastics, and metals.
- If using as a primer for epoxies, lacquers, products containing xylene or other hot solvents, allow to dry for 24 hours before topcoating; test for compatibility in a discrete area first before full coat application.
- Not recommended for floors or horizontal surfaces subject to prolonged water contact.
- For dramatic color changes, tint primer with up to 2 fl oz of colorant per gallon.
30 Min Dries to Touch
1 Hr Ready to Topcoat
300-400 Sq. Ft.
Soap & Water
- All surfaces must be properly prepared and cleaned.
- While BEHR Bonding Primer is formulated to adhere without sanding, it is recommended that a small area be tested for adhesion prior to beginning the job.
- Remove loose paint, wash off chalk, dirt and grease with detergent, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product.
- Remove all dust with a damp cloth, allow to dry.
- Remove loose rust, peeling paint and mill scale with a scraper, wire brush or sandpaper.
- Clean bare metal surfaces in accordance with The Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) specifications.
- Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 50-90°F (10-32°C).
- Use a high quality 3/8-1/2" nap roller cover on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap roller cover on semi-rough or porous surfaces, nylon/polyester brush or an airless sprayer (.015"-.021" spray tip, 60 mesh filter).
- Stir primer occasionally.
- Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is requried, thin with water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
- Topcoat within 14 days.
- For disposal of empty containers, unused paint and soiled rags, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a Behr Certified Coatings Professional, call Behr Pro Hotline Toll Free number at 1-877-776-3961 (U.S.A. only).
Browse, coordinate and preview colors now, with ColorSmart by BEHR ®..
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications