KILZ® PREMIUM is our premier water-based primer, sealer and stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-based paint. It has excellent adhesion and provides a mildew resistant finish. It is ideal for use in moisture-prone areas. KILZ PREMIUM blocks most stains caused by water, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and grease.
Where to Use
Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Works with oil and water-based paints. Not recommended for floors.
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.*
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco, and Plaster: KILZ® PREMIUM Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ PREMIUM Primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primer recommendations: KILZ® RESTORATION for water-based (interior); KILZ® ORIGINAL or KILZ® ORIGINAL EXTERIOR for oil-based.
- Eye protection is recommended. For spray applications, a small amount of water (no more than 1/2 pint per gallon) may be added. Do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F (10°-32°C). Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Brush – High-quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .017-.021 tip / 60 mesh filter Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: KILZ PREMIUM Primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended. Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft. (27.87-37 m2) per gallon depending on the application method and surface porosity.
Dry Time at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
- Dries to touch in 30 minutes
- Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
- Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or in poorly ventilated areas will affect dry time.
Clean Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
To consult with a KILZ Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-866-PRIMER-1 (U.S.A. only).
Tools & Resources
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications