KILZ® GENERAL PURPOSE EXTERIOR is a fast-drying latex primer and sealer, specifically formulated for outdoor use. It minimizes problems caused by surface texture and porosity differences. It’s ready to brush, roll or spray and can be topcoated after one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
Where to Use
Use on almost all exterior surfaces including stucco, wood, masonry and brick. Not recommended for flooring, glossy surfaces, mold- and mildew-prone surfaces, or for stainblocking.
- Complete all patching, repairs and sanding before applying KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer. The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint, mold, mildew, wallpaper paste, etc. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous. Glossy Surfaces: KILZ® PREMIUM and KILZ 2® primers are recommended for use over properly prepared glossy surfaces.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming. Note: KILZ PREMIUM and KILZ 2 primers are recommended for mildew-prone surfaces.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer.
- Eye protection is recommended. A small amount of water may be added for spray applications. Stir or mix thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer. KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer can be topcoated with latex or oil-based paint after one hour. Apply only if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°- 90°F. See “Dry Time” for additional recommendations.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: Important - For stainblocking, use KILZ® PREMIUM, KILZ® ORIGINAL, KILZ COMPLETE® or KILZ ODORLESS® primers.
- Tinting: KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: Coverage varies with porosity. Coverage is approximately 300 square feet per gallon on porous surfaces; up to 400 square feet per gallon on smooth, nonporous surfaces.
- KILZ GENERAL PURPOSE primer will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint. Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or with poor ventilation can significantly increase dry and recoat times.
Clean-Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water. If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent.
- Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
To consult with a KILZ Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-866-PRIMER-1 (U.S.A. only).
Tools & Resources
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications