KILZ® Adhesion Interior & Exterior Bonding Primer is a water-base, modified-acrylic primer specifically formulated to bond to a variety of ‘tough-to-paint’ surfaces. Its advanced chemistry provides a sound anchor for topcoats while reducing or potentially eliminating the need for sanding dense, glossy surfaces. This product may be used under epoxies, lacquers and products containing Xylene or other hot solvents, provided it’s allowed to dry for 24 hours before topcoating and tested for compatibility in an inconspicuous area before full coat application.
Where to Use
Use KILZ ADHESION where ensuring a secure bond is critical in situations when performance of a traditional water or oil-base primer may be questionable. For interior and exterior use on a variety of surfaces including; Kynar®, PVC, vinyl, Formica®, glass, tile, glazed brick, chalky paints, glossy finishes, fiberglass and metals. Not recommended for floors or horizontal surfaces subject to prolonged water contact.
- All surfaces must be clean, dry and free of oil, grease, mildew, wax, dust, flaky rust, mill scale, loose paint, chalk and other foreign matter that could interfere with adhesion.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Remove loose rust, peeling paint and mill scale with a scraper, wire brush or sandpaper
- Clean bare metal in accordance with SPC (The Society for Protective Coatings) specifications for the proper surface preparation of metal surfaces.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- While KILZ Adhesion Primer is formulated to bond without sanding, it is recommended that a small area be tested for adhesion prior to beginning the job.
- Eye protection is recommended. Do not thin.Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F (10°-32°C. Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .015 - .021 tip / 60 mesh filter @ 2,500 – 3,200 PSI For spray applications, a small amount of water (no more than ½ pint per gallon) may be added.
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Finishing: Topcoat within 30 days to prevent contamination of the primer before painting.
- Tinting: May be tinted with up to 2 oz. (60 ml) of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300 - 400 sq. ft.(28 - 37 m2) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
- KILZ ORIGINAL primer will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with a latex or oil-based paint. Application at lower temperatures, high humidity or poor ventilation will affect dry time.
Clean Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with mineral spirits. If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
Tools & Resources
SDSs, Tech Data & Certifications