For a versatile primer that’s excellent for stain-blocking, adhesion and sealing interior and exterior surfaces, choose BEHR Multi-Surface Stain-Blocking Primer & Sealer. This 100% styrene acrylic formula resists medium to heavy stains, and can even be used on metal, aluminum and to cover old oil-based paint. It’s also tintable, so it’s great when you’re looking to make a color change. This is also a low odor, low VOC formula.
Where to Use
- Over properly prepared uncoated and previously painted Interior/Exterior surfaces.
- Ideal for Masonry, Stucco, Drywall, Galvanized Metal, Ferrous Metals, Vinyl, Aluminum, Wood, Concrete and on glossy surfaces or oil-based paint.
- Bright or deep colors require a tinted primer.
- Have primer tinted close to topcoat color with no more than 4 ounces of colorant per gallon.
30 Min Dries to Touch
1 HR Ready to Topcoat
250-400 Sq. Ft
Coverage per Gallon
Soap & Water
- All surfaces should be properly prepared and cleaned.
- Remove loose paint, wash off chalk, dirt, and grease with detergent, rinse and allow to dry.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product.
- Scuff sand glossy and metal surfaces and repair imperfections.
- Remove all dust with a damp cloth, allow to dry.
- Allow new masonry stucco, concrete, concrete masonry units (CMUs), and split-faced block to cure for 7 days and test pH prior to applying primer.
- The pH must be 13.0 or lower before coating.
- Remove efflorescence with a mixed solution of one part vinegar and one part water, rinse thoroughly with clean water and allow to dry.
- FOR EXTERIOR SURFACES: For new or uncoated wood, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® No. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner.
- Etch galvanized metal with a concrete and masonry cleaner and etcher.
- Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 35-90°F (2-32°C).
- Use a high quality 3/8-1/2" nap roller cover, nylon/polyester brush or an airless sprayer (.015-.021" spray tip, 60 mesh filter).
- Stir primer occasionally.
- Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is required, thin with water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
- Spot prime patched areas first, then follow with a complete primer coat.
- Two coats may be needed over heavy stains and tannin-rich wood.
- On stained surfaces, topcoat in 4 hours; for heavy stains, topcoat in 16 hours.
- Topcoat within 30 days.
- For disposal of empty containers, unused paint and soiled rags, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a Behr Certified Coatings Professional, call Behr Pro Hotline Toll Free number at 1-877-776-3961 (U.S.A. only).