This easy to apply oil base transparent finish enhances the natural beauty of wood. It provides UV protection and is low maintenance. It also features a mildew resistant finish and is ideal for new to slightly weathered uncoated and unsealed exterior wood surfaces.
Where to Use
Recommended for properly prepared new to slightly weathered, unsealed exterior wood surfaces (0-5 years exposure) such as; Decks, Railings, Shakes, Shingles, Siding, Fences, and Wood Patio Furniture.
or Paint Thinner
Proper surface preparation is required.
- For failing coatings or to remove loose wood fibers, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® No. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper followed by BEHR PREMIUM No. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner to neutralize the wood.
- When No. 64 is not needed, a product such as No. 63 MUST be used to remove mill glaze and clean the wood surface.
- After using either No. 64 or No. 63, rinse thoroughly with a garden hose or pressure washer.
- When rinsing with a pressure washer, use the broadest spray pattern while keeping the nozzle at least 24" away from the surface. Allow the area to dry at least 24 hours before coating.
- Lightly sand to remove remaining wood fibers/fuzz.
For best results, a pad applicator is recommended over large deck areas.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Avoid applying in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Do not use if rain is expected within 24 hours. The surface must be completely dry before application.
- Intermix multiple containers to ensure color uniformity.
- Stir product occasionally throughout application.
- Test product for penetration and color on a small hidden area before proceeding.
- Use a natural bristle brush for areas requiring more accuracy.
- Use of rollers should be limited to rough surfaces only. Use 3/8" nap or longer when appropriate.
- A high-quality sprayer with a variable tip or an airless sprayer with a .013"-.017" tip (60 mesh filter) may be used.
- If thinning is necessary for spray application, then use a VOC compliant paint thinner at a rate of up to 8 oz. per gallon.
- Lightly saturate the surface and back-brush any excess finish. Be sure to eliminate puddling and evenly distribute the finish.
- Maintain a wet edge when applying.
- Apply product end-to-end or to board lengths to prevent lap marks.
- Avoid applying finish too heavily.
- One coat application.
- For optimum performance, coat all accessible sides.
- When color has faded and water is readily absorbed by the substrate, prep/clean with a product such as BEHR PREMIUM No. 63, allow to dry, and apply a new/fresh coat of wood finish.
- Product can be applied annually if needed.
- Dry to touch after 2-4 hours depending on wood porosity.
- 24-48 hours before foot traffic. 72 hours for full cure.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).