Whether you're looking to make a simple color change, complement existing color or hide blemishes on aging wood, protect and beautify with BEHR's Solid Color Waterproofing Wood Stain. This 100% acrylic formula seals out water and blocks the sun's harmful UV rays for up to five years on decks and up to 15 years on fences and siding, and is available in more than 1,600 custom colors to help you get just about any look you can imagine.
2nd Coat 400-800 Sq. Ft.
Where to Use
Recommended for properly prepared new to heavily weathered or cracking wood surfaces (0 to 15+ years exposure) such as: Decks, Railings, Shakes, Shingles, Siding, Roofs, Fences, Wood Patio Furniture and Composites.
2 Thin Coats
200-400 Sq. Ft
400-800 Sq. Ft.
Soap & Water
The following steps and products are recommended for best results.
- Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper to remove loose wood fibers, latex, oil-based and 100% acrylic coatings on new or weathered wood.
- BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner MUST be used following NO. 64 to clean, brighten & neutralize wood. When NO. 64 is not needed, use a product such as NO. 63 to clean and brighten the wood surface and to remove light to medium exterior stains caused by mold, mildew, algae & fungus.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before coating.
- On new wood, use a product such as NO. 63 to remove mill glaze and open the pores of the wood.
- Lightly sand to remove remaining wood fibers/fuzz.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Do not use if rain is expected within 24 hours.
- The wood surface must be completely dry before application.
- No primer needed on most woods. However, Redwood, Cedar, Cypress and other "bleeding" woods contain water soluble extractives which may cause discoloration of white and pastel colors; therefore prime the above type woods with one coat of a product such as BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® NO. 436 Exterior Multi-Surface Primer & Sealer. See label for additional instructions.
- Intermix multiple containers to ensure color uniformity. Stir product occasionally throughout application.
- Use a 3/8” nap roller, nylon/polyester brush, pad applicator or airless sprayer. Airless spray is recommended for experienced applicators only; use a .015 - .019" tip.
- If thinning is required, thin with water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
- Maintain a wet edge when applying.
- Always back-brush and apply product end to end or to board lengths to prevent lap marks.
- Over application of stain will lead to surface failure including peeling and cracking. Avoid applying stain too heavily.
- For optimum performance, coat all six sides of wood.
- 1-2 hours before recoat. Wait 24-48 hours before light foot traffic. 72 hours for full cure.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).