Accent and enhance your wood's natural patterns while providing increased protection from the elements with BEHR's Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Wood Stain. This 100% acrylic formula seals out water and blocks the sun's harmful UV rays for up to three years on decks and up to five years on fences and siding, and is available in 60 custom colors to help you create a look that's as beautiful as it is durable.
2nd Coat 500-600 Sq. Ft.
Where to Use
Recommended for properly prepared new to moderately weathered, unsealed exterior wood surfaces (0-10 years exposure) such as: Decks, Railings, Shakes, Shingles, Siding, Roofs, Fences and Wood Patio Furniture.
2 Thin Coats
250-300 Sq. Ft
500-600 Sq. Ft.
Soap & Water
The following steps are recommended for best results.
- Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper to remove loose wood fibers, latex, oil-based and 100% acrylic coatings on new or weathered wood.
- BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner MUST be used following NO. 64 to clean, brighten & neutralize wood.
- When NO. 64 is not needed, use a product such as NO. 63 to clean and brighten the wood surface and to remove light to medium exterior stains caused by mold, mildew, algae & fungus. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before coating.
- On new wood, use a product such as NO. 63 to remove mill glaze and open the pores of the wood. Lightly sand to remove remaining wood fibers/fuzz.
For best results, a pad applicator is recommended over large areas.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Do not use if rain is expected within 24 hours. The wood surface must be completely dry before application.
- Intermix multiple containers to ensure color uniformity. DO NOT THIN PRODUCT. Stir product occasionally throughout application. Test product for penetration and color on a small hidden area before proceeding.
- Use a nylon/polyester brush for areas requiring more accuracy. Use of rollers should be limited to rough surfaces only.
- Use 3/8” nap or longer when appropriate. A high quality pump sprayer with a variable tip or an airless sprayer with a .015 - .019" tip may be used.
- Work in small sections lightly saturating the surface and immediately back-brush or use pad applicator to eliminate puddling, remove excess and evenly distribute the stain. Maintain a wet edge when applying. Apply product end-to-end or to board lengths to prevent lap marks.
- Over application of stain will lead to surface failure including peeling and cracking. Avoid applying stain too heavily. For optimum performance, coat all six sides of wood.
- 1-2 hours before recoat. Allow 72 hours for full cure.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).