For a versatile primer that's excellent for stain-blocking, adhesion and sealing Interior/Exterior surfaces, choose BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior/Exterior Multi-Surface Primer & Sealer. This 100% styrene acrylic formula resists medium to heavy stains, and can even be used on metal, aluminum and to cover old oil-based paint. It's also tintable, so it's great when you're looking to make a color change. This is also a low odor, low VOC formula.
Where to Use
Over properly prepared uncoated and previously painted Exterior surfaces. Ideal for Masonry, Stucco, Galvanized Metal, Vinyl, Aluminum, Wood, Concrete and on glossy surfaces or oil-based paint.
30 Min Dries to Touch
1 HR Ready to Topcoat
250-400 Sq. Ft
Coverage per Gallon
Soap & Water
- All surfaces should be properly prepared and cleaned.
- Remove loose paint, wash off chalk, dirt, and grease with detergent, rinse and allow to dry.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product.
- Scuff sand glossy surfaces and repair imperfections.
- Remove all dust with a damp cloth, allow to dry.
- For new or uncoated wood, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® No. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner.
- Etch galvanized metal with a product containing muriatic acid.
- Allow masonry/concrete surface to cure for 30 days before applying.
- All masonry surfaces must have a pH of 13.0 or less prior to coating.
- Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 50-90°F (10-32°C).
- Use a high quality 3/8-1/2" nap roller cover, nylon/polyester brush or an airless sprayer (.015-.021" spray tip, 60 mesh filter).
- Stir primer occasionally. Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is required, thin with water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
- Two coats may be needed over stains and woods that contain tannins.
- Spot prime patched areas first, follow with a complete primer coat. Topcoat within 30 days.
- Bright or deep colors require a tinted primer.
- Have primer tinted close to topcoat color with no more than 4 ounces of colorant per gallon.
† On stained surfaces, topcoat in 4 hours, for heavy stains, topcoat in 16 hours.
- For disposal of empty containers, unused paint and soiled rags, contact your household refuse collection service.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).